Thursday, November 19, 2009

Modern Day Romeo & Juliet


"For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."
-William Shakespeare


I never would've thought that I would find myself crying my heart out over a situation that didn't involve me specifically. Two of my closest friends, whom I will name Romeo and Juliet,recently broke-up over issues that I had originally find to be stupid and irrational. I was oblivious to the break-up until I received a text from my best friend Juliet one night. I unfortunately didn't read the text till the next day so was unable to respond at the moment. The next day when I called her she told me what had happened. Romeo had called her broken up with her over reasons relating to family issues and time & distance constraints. Knowing this couple and their history together very well, I could not help myself but shed a tear. Through the 6 years that this couple had been together they had been through everything imaginable together. They survived high school and its drama, family differences, distance for Juliet went to university 200km away from Toronto and much more. Everyone in our group of friends was sure they were going to end up together forever. No one would've thought that the end to this couple would come so soon.

Juliet came recently for my boyfriend's birthday (what a surprise) and needless to say got smashed to the point where she was unable to come back to my house to sleep over. She stayed at my boyfriend's house overnight and had multiple episodes of rushing to the bathroom puking and dry-heaving. I was informed by my boyfriend that in her sleep she would mumble Romeo's name and ''why?'' Note, this is approximately a month after the break-up had occurred. Initially after the break-up, she hated Romeo for his cowardliness and his unjust reasonings. The next day I met up with her and spent a couple hours with her at the mall killing tim until her bus arrived to take her back to London. As we walked towards the bus terminal Juliet questions me, "You know what I miss?" I thought she was going to say something along the lines of our high school days when we would come to this mall and kill endless hours of time instead of working on homework and assignments. I responded, "I don't know. What?" She replies, "Romeo..." At this moment I was speechless and felt my heart crack a little inside. She continues on to say, "I thought it would be easy cause I hate him so much for what I did but its so hard to forget."

After my half-day with Juliet and that heartfelt conversation on the way to th bus terminal and was enraged by Romeo. I could not and refused to believe that he can do this to someone he claimed to be his first love and loved dearly. He had plans of working and saving money so they could move out together after she finished medical school free from their parents constraints. As much as I hated him for what he was putting Juliet through I knew deep down that there was more to the story than he fronted. We and a bunch of other people went out for wings and drinks one night after a couple drinks I drew the courage to ask him for the full story. After his undisclosed story was told I asked him, "All that aside do you miss her?" He responded firmly, "Yes." My heart broke at this point. As I wrapped my head around all of this, it hit me that this is just like a modern day Romeo and Juliet. I couldn't help but think how unfair this all was. These two people are still so in love with each other but certain circumstances make then unable to be together.

My heart hurt so much and I couldn't control the tears that came about after this realization. I had to abruptly get up and walk out onto the patio. I couldn't bear to sit there and see the sadness in Romeo's eyes behind his strong front. It was too painful and all too unfair. My boyfriend rushed out after me and held me outside on the patio in the cold night air. As he held me I just cried harder and harder. Tears rolled down my face as I tried to voice my questions to an invisible being of why this would happen to two people who have been through so much together just to end up apart. Inside I could see my friends looking on with concern. I forced my self to control my emotions and hold back my tears. We went back inside and got the bill. Nonetheless it was a very bittersweet night.

No comments: